Questions to Ask Before Beginning Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma Treatment
You may want to ask your doctor the following questions before you begin treatment:
- What type of lymphoma do I have? May I have a copy of the report from the pathologist?
- What is the stage of my disease? Where are the tumors?
- What are my treatment choices? Which do you recommend for me? Why?
- Will I have more than one kind of treatment?
- What are the expected benefits of each kind of treatment? How will we know the treatment is working? What tests will be used to check its effectiveness? How often will I get these tests?
- What are the risks and possible side effects of each treatment? What can we do to control the side effects?
- How long will treatment last?
- Will I have to stay in the hospital? If so, for how long?
- What can I do to take care of myself during treatment?
- What is the treatment likely to cost? Will my insurance cover the cost?
- How will treatment affect my normal activities?
- Would a clinical trial be right for me?
- How often will I need checkups?
♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦
Source: National Cancer Institute, www.cancer.gov
This article was originally published in Coping® with Cancer magazine, September/October 2008.