House dust is a mixture of many substances. Its content may vary from home to home, but the most common allergy triggers contained in house dust are dust mites, cockroaches, fungi (mold), and animal dander. Exposure to even small amounts of the offending allergen can cause allergy or asthma symptoms.
Many types of molds (microscopic fungi) live in our environment. Mold grows in indoor and outdoor areas that are warm, dark, and moist. Molds reproduce and grow by sending tiny spores into the air. Inhaled spores cause allergy and asthma symptoms. Examples of allergy symptoms include itchy eyes, runny nose, and rash.
Are you thinking about remodeling your home, or building a new one? If so, there are several things you need to know about the impact this may have on your allergies. The dust, debris, and fumes from remodeling or construction can wreak havoc on your eyes, nose, and skin. Knowing about some specific hazards, however, can help you minimize the impact on your allergies.
Many native and exotic plants are poisonous to humans when ingested or if there is skin contact with plant chemicals. However, the most common problems with poisonous plants arise from contact with the sap oil of several ever-present native plants that can cause an allergic skin reaction – poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac.
Food allergies can range from merely irritating to life threatening. Approximately 30,000 Americans go to the emergency room each year to be treated for severe food allergies, according to the Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network. It is estimated that 150 to 200 Americans die each year because of allergic reactions to food.
Occupational contact dermatitis and asthma are two of the most common work-related health issues facing workers worldwide, according to experts presenting the latest research at the 2009 Annual Meeting of the American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology.
by David Shulan, MD, FAAAAI
For people with seasonal allergies, pollen levels can be a useful tool. Yet many don’t fully understand what they are and how monitoring pollen levels can help to reduce their symptoms.
Affecting the outer ear, swimmer’s ear is a pain-causing condition resulting from inflammation, irritation, or infection. These symptoms occur when water gets trapped in your ear, allowing bacteria to spread, causing a painful sensation. Because this condition commonly affects swimmers, it is known as swimmer’s ear. Swimmer’s ear affects mostly children and teenagers, but can also affect those with eczema (a condition that causes the skin to itch) or excess earwax.